Friday, September 9, 2011

Why a 3 series?

In any major city (especially LA and NYC), you see them all over. Driven by  everyone from NYU students to bankers, they seem more common than yellow cabs at times.  The BMW 3 series; it's not just a car, it's a cliche.   After all, I  could probably list enough cars to fill Jay Leno's garage  off the top of my head,  so why go with such a boring choice?

Most of the cars I'd like to own aren't affordable or practical as an only car (even if you don't need  to drive  every day). Owning a classic 911, Mercedes 190SL, '69  Mustang fastback, or maybe an MGB would be fun, but not as my only car. And as much as I'd love an Aston Martin DB9 or Maserati Gran Turismo I'd need to make them my primary residence to afford them.  Plus, I like gadgets and the cool features that come with newer cars. So, the following list began forming in my head based loosely on  a few key criteria: Decent looking, fun to drive, good automatic or DCT-type transmission, decent gas mileage and enough room for family/friends/road trips/storage trips/etc.
  • Audi S4 and S5 
  • Chevrolet Camaro
  • BMW 135i
  • BMW 335i and 335is coupes
  • BMW M3
  • Mustang GT  5.0
  • Volkswagen GTI

Despite all the BMWs listed above, I had a bit of a car-crush on the Audis. They were sleek, beautifully made, roomy and fast. Every review raved about them. Plus, my wife has always wanted an Audi convertible, so that probably biased me as well.

But I've had a "thing" for BMWs since I  was 13 and got a ride in our neighbors '85 325e. It just seemed so solid, with lively handling and a great exhaust note.  In my 13 year old mind it was simply "cool" and a car that my parents would never buy (10 year old Volvo wagons with vinyl seats were more their speed).  Come to think of it, that same neighbor owned a string of interesting cars that I'd still like to own: Audi 5000CS Quattro, Saab 900 SPG, early 70s Datsun 240Z, Alfa Romeo Milano, BMW 325e, and a BMW 325i.  Nothing too crazy, but enough to spark quite a bit of unrequited car love in my teenage mind.  BMWs have gone through an awkward stage in the past 7 years, but the latest 3 series coupe has caught my eye since it came out in 2007. And the 135i brought me back to the classic upright  lines of the e30 that I had gotten a ride in back in the 80s. Plus it's just fun to say "twin turbo".

As for the Mustang and Camaro, I'd never been that into American muscle as a kid. Too bad as  I probably could've bought a 70s muscle car for allowance money back then. But the latest iterations of the Camaro and Mustang had caught my attention. Great proportions, lots of power and interiors that don't look like McDonald's Happy Meal toys.

And finally, the Volkswagen. There's just something I've always found pleasing about nearly every iteration of the Golf/Rabbit/GTI.  By being practical, stylish, affordable and fun to drive the new GTI could be the perfect car for me....

No comments:

Post a Comment